Sorry for the muddled state of some of the older posts. Mist is slaving away to reformat them ASAP ; ).

1/18/09

If at first you don't succeed....

destroy all evidence that you tried.......hehehehe :) A recent post by Katiebabs about goals had me thinking not only about life goals but about my reading goals too. While I won't be able to join this reading challenge, I realized I could challenge myself in a different way. Like my sister-blogger, Mistress, I seriously needed to take a course in Pilates of the Page. For 2009, I will attempt a reconciliation with a certain type of romance novel. The bane of my reading existence?.....(drum roll please).... Time Travel Romances. Yep, that's the Joker to my Batmam, the Lex Luthor to my Superman, the frizz to my curly hair....you get the idea! What I've already tried: 1. Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning - I believe the review speaks for itself. 2. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - I did not complete this book once I discovered the beating scene. That is NOT an idea of romance to me and I found it even harder to believe that a woman from these times would react the way Claire did. I'm hoping third time's the charm. Do you have a favorite time travel romance? My literary no-no's: hero beats heroine, rape or BDSM stories. I'm up for anything else: highlanders, cowboys, magic, fantasy, supernatural...bring it on! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to post a book suggestion below and Mission Possible: The Wanderer Chronicles shall begin. This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds......

8 comments:

KT Grant Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:38:00 PM  

Psst.. I am not a big fan of time travel romance either, well except for Outlander.
OCH JAMIE!!

Dream Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:50:00 PM  

LOL KB - yes, I was liking me some Jamie but sadly that turn of events was the end for me :( I still have hope that I'll meet a TTR that will rock my literary world :p

JenB Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:24:00 PM  

Well, no TT list is complete without the Jude Deveraux classic A Knight in Shining Armor. That book was my re-introduction into the romance genre and is what got me back into my obsession with books. I devoured it in two short evenings and never looked back.

Oddly enough, though, I don't really care for time travels in general. In the 19 months that I've been back into romance, I've read three and avoided all the rest. I'm challenging myself to read more TT's this year too. :)

Mistress Monday, January 19, 2009 2:04:00 AM  

Woot! Mz.W, your bravery is impressive. I'm gonna dig deep, to find something juicy for you to try.

Mistress Monday, January 19, 2009 2:42:00 AM  

Found one. I enjoyed Kieran The Black by Julia Templeton (shares the E.C. Warriors anthology w/ another time travel story by Jaid Black).

Description:
When the frizzy-headed crone took thirty-nine-year-old Lizzie Johnston's hands and wrapped them around the sword, she felt a little weird. That's nothing compared to what she feels when she wakes up in the body of eighteen-year-old Saxon, Lady Elizabeth of Aedelmaer in the year 1067, wedded to the infamous Norman knight, Kieran the Black. Kieran's six and a half feet tall, black-haired, with the bluest eyes Lizzie's ever seen and built like a brick you-know-what. Lizzie's head over heels and determined to get tall, dark and dangerous into bed and win his heart, despite the old Elizabeth's avowed distaste for him. But first she has to save his life.

Dream Monday, January 19, 2009 9:34:00 AM  

Thanks for the recommendations ladies - will start on them this week!

JenB - We will conquer the time travel world muwahahahahahaha!

Nicola O. Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:19:00 AM  

Try Lynn Kurland, old Constance O'Day Flannery, or Antoinette Stockenberg (Stockenburg?).

The movie "Somewhere In Time" with Christopher Reeve is also more than a bit swoony.

Dream Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:40:00 PM  

Thanks for those recommendations Nicola! So far my mission is going well ;) - woot!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Kick Ass Romance Blogs

AUTHOR & INDUSTRY BLOGS THAT DON'T SUCK

Kick Ass Fantasy Blogs

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP