Sorry for the muddled state of some of the older posts. Mist is slaving away to reformat them ASAP ; ).

2/20/10

Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief (Film)

I haven't been around in a while; my reading rut lasted longer than I expected and nothing, not even Brockway, could get me out of my funk. I did, however, get arm-wrestled into reading Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief and, boy, was I glad. So glad that I actually read the next 4 books in 2 days. It was that good. I've always been fond of Greek mythology and any book that incorporates it into their story (provided it doesn't stray too far from the established mythos) is a win for me. I feel the same way about films so you can just imagine how I felt about the idea of a Percy Jackson Lightning Thief movie: Cue fangirl squeeing. So, how does the film fare when compared to the book it was adapted from? Poorly.

Spoilers Ahoy:

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the film, however, Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief, it was not. I really wanted to love this movie. It could be the new Harry Potter in my life. I entered the cinema with an open mind, ready for a great time, but great wouldn't really be the best word to describe the experience because, as much as I enjoyed the film, all the changes jarred me from truly being absorbed in it. Now, I can get over the missing (or added) scenes and the changes in minor details. I can even overlook the horrible casting of certain characters (Athena. UGH.) but changing the plot I cannot ignore. One of the things I liked best about the books is the fact that Hades is not a bad guy. I mean, he's not a good guy but, he's certainly no worse than his Olympian brothers. Heck, he's the only one of the "big three" to keep his end of the pact for crying out loud! In the film he's the mastermind baddie. Yeah, the Lord of the Underworld is evil, real original. No mention whatsoever of Kronos who happens to be the Voldemort of the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series. Heh.

I heard a sequel movie has been green-lighted so how they're gonna work that back in is a toss up. And who knew that Persephone is a satyr-fondling slut? because I had no idea! Which brings me to another gripe - what's the point of adding new and irrelevant goddesses when you're taking out characters detrimental to the plot? Ares, anybody? Where's Mr. D? Where are the Furies? Where are the Fates? Where's the damn Oracle of Delphi whose prophecy started it all? I know this is starting to come across as a rant so I'm going to stop - although I could go on all day - and I assure you that it's not. I really enjoyed the film - I think - and I'm watching it again this week with DH ( who hasn't read the series) to make sure. My advice: watch the film before you read the books (if you haven't already) because appreciating it on it's own merit is mighty hard when you're already a rabid R.R.'s PJ fangirl.

4 comments:

Reader Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:41:00 AM  

Maybe I haven't posted in so long that I forgot how to properly format this thing. Help Mistress and Wanderer!

Wanderer Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:31:00 PM  

Fixed it for ya Reader :)

Too bad the movie wasn't all that! I do want to read the books, though. I think I have the first on audio and I've been looking for another series similar to Harry Potter. Going to add it to the ipod today.

Mistress Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:42:00 PM  

I'm treating my Mom to the flick this Tuesday, so I'll take your advice and hold off on the books till after. BTW I've a known of Persephone's satyr molesting proclivities for some time, but I figure after all she's been through I'll overlook a little lechery ; p lmao

P.S. Is it at least still set at a summer camp?

Reader Saturday, February 20, 2010 11:28:00 PM  

Wande: The books do have the same magic Harry Potter does except they're faster, lighter reads. I definitely recommend you try 'em movie or no. Who's narrating? IMHO, the narrator usually makes (or breaks) the audiobook.

Mistress: It's still there but it's less summer camp, more Robin Hood, which makes me very sad indeed. Also, it doesn't really seem all that important in the movie, felt more like a stop in Percy's adventure rather than his sanctuary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Kick Ass Romance Blogs

AUTHOR & INDUSTRY BLOGS THAT DON'T SUCK

Kick Ass Fantasy Blogs

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP