Sorry for the muddled state of some of the older posts. Mist is slaving away to reformat them ASAP ; ).

5/10/09

Julie James - Practice Makes Perfect

It feels like it's been ages since I read a contemporary romance so for anyone else looking for a great one to jump back in with, look no further. PMP is about Payton Kendall and J.D. Jameson, both hot shot lawyers at the same firm. They've worked there for 8 years and have always been in competition with each other but now a chance at making partner has them upping their game. This leads to pranks being played on the opponent which are done in fun yet somehow end up going a lot further than intended.

Book description: When it comes to the laws of attraction, there are no rules The battle between the sexes is about to make these two lawyers hot under the collar. Opposites collide when two lawyers try to make partner at the same firm. Payton Kendall is a feminist to the bone. Cocky J.D. Jameson was born privileged. But when they’re asked to join forces on a major case, they gain a newfound awareness of each other’s personal assets. The partnership spot will be offered to only one of them, though. The competition heats up. Sparks fly. Let the games begin.

There isn't much about this book that I didn't enjoy. The characters were well developed, the pranks were funny and the growth of the character's feelings from beginning to end was believable. I liked the secondary characters as well, from the best friends to the secretaries to the brief moments we saw of the h/h's parents. The interaction between all of them was right on. I liked the revelation at the end of how the h/h's feud began 8 years prior. That kind of stuff absolutely happens in real life (I can speak from experience although I don't think I've ever gone quite as long before things were cleared up). I also loved the moment when the secretary realized what was going on. Been there done that too. The only thing I didn't like and felt was unnecessary was when Payton overheard something that J.D. had told their boss years ago and this causes conflict between the two. I guess I can see why that was done because at the end we see the resolution of that but maybe that same resolution could have come about without the secret reveal being thrown in? But that is just a minor detail that in no way takes away from the enjoyment of this book.

This is the first book I've read by Julie James and after completing it I googled her name and was surprised to find this is only her 2nd novel. I have added her 1st book, Just the Sexiest Man Alive, to my TBR pile and added her to my authors-to-watch list. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that PMP is being sent out to Hollywood producers because as I was reading it I kept thinking how it would make a great romantic comedy. The author's blog even has a few candidates listed for the main characters. I like a couple of the people already listed but here are my picks:

Payton: Christina Applegate

JD: Josh Duhamel

When all is said and done, for me, PMP was near....well....perfect. I was only left with one question: What does J.D stand for? :)

Final Grade:





Around The Net:
The Book Binge: 4.5 out of 5
Tracy's Place: 5 out of 5
Manic Readers: 3.5 out of 5
All About Romance: B
The Book Smugglers: 8 out of 10
Babbling About Books and More: A

4 comments:

KT Grant Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:17:00 PM  

I love, love love this book! The court scene with Payton had me laughing out loud like a loon. PMP is going down in my top 3 of the year. Hurrah for Julie James!
Josh Dumel would be perfect as JD!

Mistress Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:19:00 PM  

= ( I feel all left out now, lol. I'll add it to my contemp tbr. I love office place romance.

Julie James Monday, May 11, 2009 5:21:00 PM  

Thanks for the great review! Wonderful to hear you enjoyed Practice Makes Perfect. Oh, and I love your casting suggestions, particularly Josh Duhamel. I agree with Katiebabs-- he would be perfect as J.D. Now why didn't I think of that...? ;-)

Dream Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:11:00 AM  

I agree KB, the court scene was good stuff!

M - The law office setting was new to me so I found the legal terms and descriptions interesting.

Oh and on other thing I forgot to mention were the Pride and Prejudice references with the cabbie's input being my favorite. So true, so true!

Hi Julie - welcome to the Scarlet Corset and I think Josh Duhamel was made for the part since he's already got the right initials :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Kick Ass Romance Blogs

AUTHOR & INDUSTRY BLOGS THAT DON'T SUCK

Kick Ass Fantasy Blogs

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP