Sorry for the muddled state of some of the older posts. Mist is slaving away to reformat them ASAP ; ).

1/4/09

Nice by Jen Sacks

I adore John Cusack. I really really do. His physical similarities to one of the characters in Richelle Mead's Succubus series is one of the reasons why I started reading the books (although I do now based on it's own merit) and Grosse Pointe Blank is one of the the top three Cusack movies I like best. Nice by Jen Sacks (1999) reminded me of that GPB magic. I was sooo sure that it was my "THE BOOK" find of 2008. With a blurb like this, it HAD to be:

First there was Clay--it just sort of happened. Then there was Pete--he was becoming way too attached. Ben, well, he totally had it coming. And then there was Sam... Grace is nice to a fault. She never picks fights, and doesn't like to criticize or hurt people's feelings. Problem is, the men in her life never seem to take a hint. And she just can't bear to tell them outright when she isn't interested. So she kills them. A clean break--no messy emotions, no heated arguments. But someone is onto her. His name is Sam, and he and Grace, with one very dangerous thing in common, make a killer couple. It's a match made in heaven-as long as they can both survive the relationship...
Awesome, yes? The premise is quirky and uncommon and has ginormous potential to be a great read. Unfortunately, it never really took off from there. It was like being served flat tap water when you order Pellegrino with a twist of lemon. No matter how much I wanted to, I just couldn't get into the story. Maybe it was the length of the novel; the machine-gun type of prose didn't really work. It has 55 very short chapters which volleys between Grace's and Sam's point of view. The characterization of both narrators just seemed so lacking that they ended up unsympathetic to me. I really couldn't be induced to care. One might reason that it's hard to relate to murderers but it really isn't (hard), actually, at least for me. The rapid interval between narrators was also pretty jarring; before I could really get into the heroine's (or hero's for that matter) perspective I would be jolted out of it by the switcheroo. Maybe it would have worked better if it were told from a third person perspective. I don't know, the prose just didn't flow. It wasn't bad really, it was, to put it concisely, meh. *edit* Heard this book was optioned into a movie. Hopefully it translates better on film than it did on paper.

5 comments:

Mistress Sunday, January 04, 2009 6:46:00 PM  

awwww,I was really hoping this one would hit it out the park. I'm also freakish attracted to questionably evil in general and sociopaths in specific; In my reading life that is. I'm willing to buy this book anyway, if I get to see what happens when she tries to kill a bf who expects it.... So will I..get to if I buy it? lol

Can't talk murder w/out Sexy Dexy. Did you get around to watching this Season of Dexter yet? I await your verdict. I was underwhelmed through the first 1/2...

Reader Monday, January 05, 2009 1:15:00 AM  

I am, sadly, behind on the Dexter front. I blame your negative reviews on the new season for it.

*book spoilers ahoy*

All men Grace murders don't see it coming but one. And only because it was self-defense. Dude was a date rapist. There was a surprisingly large amount of violence towards her, a supposed regular New Yawker. I've been to New York and people are actually *gasp!* friendly. lol! If you wanna check it out, I recommend you borrow from the library or a friend.

Mistress Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:33:00 AM  

Pft, all of us New Yawkers are vile & violent creatures, I wont have you sullying our good name. Lmao, it is a possibility though many of my transplanted friends have serious horror stories. Our predators here are drawn to naive newcomers like wolves scenting blood.

When I get around to reading this, I'll report back = )

Reader Wednesday, January 07, 2009 2:21:00 AM  

Are you implying that I'm no innocent lamb? I take offense. lol!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Kick Ass Romance Blogs

AUTHOR & INDUSTRY BLOGS THAT DON'T SUCK

Kick Ass Fantasy Blogs

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP